🐸My Etsy Sh🌎p🐸

Saturday, March 2, 2013

Steelers T-Shirt Quilt

 So...my brother in-law is a HUGE Steelers fan (that's is an understatement) and his birthday is tomorrow.  A couple weeks ago, my sister in-law asked me to make a t-shirt quilt.  "Sure!" I said.  Ask me today and I will say, "Never again."
 25 t-shirts later.
7 yards of black broadcloth.
2 1/3 yards of wool blanket batting.
14 hours.
2 boobins.
250+ pins.
 My first sign that this was not going to be an easy task was my mother (the woman who has made wedding dresses and prom dresses and princess dresses) said to me, "good luck with that." Ugh
 T-shirt fabric is difficult to work with.  It stretches.  It rolls up.  It does not play well with others. :)  Once we got the layout of the quilt, I began cutting.  I felt a pang of guilt for cutting into these expensive t-shirts.  My guilt turned to frustration because the fabric was not cooperating.  But, in the end, it all came together.
It measures 78 inches wide by 84 inches long.  It weighs about 10 lbs.  I hope he likes it.  Happy Birthday, Keven.
Mel

No comments: