🐸My Etsy Sh🌎p🐸

Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Teaching our Children to Care for the Earth

My Grandma Helen died a year ago, but her Life lessons follow me daily. She said Serve God, love your family, plant a garden and some flowers, and take care of those in need.

On this Earth Day, I think back to being on my hands and knees in the dirt beside her pulling weeds or helping her refill the bird feeders outside her kitchen window.

Grandma Helen was an amazing example for her 8 children, 23 grandchildren, and 40+ great grandchildren.  Every year, she planted a HUGE garden behind Grandpa's garage.  She planted lots of flowers for the bees.  The neighborhood birds never missed a meal - Grandma Helen's feeders were always full.  If she couldn't darn it or Grandpa couldn't fix it, she gave the items away to those in need.

Simple, right?

Simple but exactly how it should be.  Grandma Helen, through living example, gave us the tools for taking care of the Earth and people around us.  I hope I am teaching my daughters these rules for taking care of the earth.

Have a fun and playful day.
Mel

picture is from a previous post entitled Rainbow Forest - a nature friendly imaginative way to play

No comments: